Smart shoppers know that auto insurance companies don’t want you shop around. Drivers who compare other prices are inclined to switch companies because there are good odds of finding a cheaper policy. A recent survey revealed that drivers who routinely compared quotes saved $3,400 over four years as compared to drivers who never compared other company’s rates.
If finding discount rates on Chevy Volt insurance is your ultimate objective, understanding how to quote prices and compare coverages can help you succeed in saving money.
Really, the only way to find affordable quotes for auto insurance rates is to compare prices at least once a year from different companies in El Paso. You can compare rates by following these guidelines.
Step 1: Take a little time to learn about how insurance works and the measures you can take to prevent high rates. Many policy risk factors that result in higher prices like traffic citations, accidents, and poor credit history can be eliminated by being financially responsible and driving safely.
Step 2: Obtain price quotes from direct carriers, independent agents, and exclusive agents. Direct and exclusive agents can only give rate quotes from one company like GEICO or Farmers Insurance, while agents who are independent can give you price quotes from multiple sources.
Step 3: Compare the new rate quotes to your existing policy to see if a cheaper price is available. If you can save money, make sure the effective date of the new policy is the same as the expiration date of the old one.
Step 4: Notify your company or agent to cancel your current coverage and submit a completed policy application and payment for the new policy. As soon as you receive it, safely store the proof of insurance paperwork somewhere easily accessible.
A good tip to remember is to use identical coverages on every quote request and and to look at as many car insurance companies as possible. This ensures an apples-to-apples comparison and a thorough price selection.
How to get cheap Chevy Volt insurance in El Paso, TX
The companies shown below can provide quotes in El Paso, TX. If multiple companies are listed, we recommend you visit several of them to get a more complete price comparison.
Verify you’re applying every discount
Insuring your fleet can be pricey, but there could be significant discounts that many consumers don’t even know exist. Certain reductions will be credited at the time you complete a quote, but some may not be applied and must be inquired about before you get the savings.
- ABS Braking Discount – Vehicles that have steering control and anti-lock brakes can avoid accidents and earn discounts up to 10%.
- Home Ownership Discount – Owning your own home or condo may trigger a policy discount on car insurance because maintaining a house requires personal responsibility.
- Distant Student Discount – Kids living away from El Paso attending college and do not take a car to college could qualify for this discount.
- Low Mileage – Low annual miles may allow you to get better premium rates on cars that stay parked.
- Pay Upfront and Save – By paying your policy upfront instead of making monthly payments you may have a lower total premium amount.
- Save with a New Car – Insuring a vehicle that is new can get you a discount because newer models keep occupants safer.
- Drivers Ed for Students – Teen drivers should take driver’s ed class in school.
- Safety Course Discount – Passing a course teaching defensive driver skills may get you a small discount and make you a better driver.
- Good Driver Discounts – Insureds who avoid accidents may save up to 50% more as compared to drivers with claims.
As a disclaimer on discounts, many deductions do not apply to the whole policy. The majority will only reduce individual premiums such as liability and collision coverage. If you do the math and it seems like you can get free auto insurance, companies don’t profit that way.
A list of companies and the discounts they provide are detailed below.
- Farm Bureau offers discounts including driver training, 55 and retired, good student, safe driver, and renewal discount.
- Liberty Mutual includes discounts for exclusive group savings, newly retired, new vehicle discount, new move discount, multi-car, and safety features.
- State Farm offers premium reductions for safe vehicle, driver’s education, student away at school, anti-theft, multiple policy, and defensive driving training.
- Auto-Owners Insurance may offer discounts for anti-lock brakes, group or association, paid in full, teen driver, and multiple vehicles.
- GEICO discounts include membership and employees, anti-theft, multi-vehicle, defensive driver, emergency military deployment, multi-policy, and daytime running lights.
- SAFECO offers discounts for teen safety rewards, safe driver, drive less, bundle discounts, teen safe driver, and anti-theft.
When quoting, ask every prospective company the best way to save money. Some credits may not apply in El Paso.
Insurance is an important decision
Even though it’s not necessarily cheap to insure a Chevy in El Paso, maintaining insurance is mandatory in Texas but it also protects more than you think.
- The majority of states have compulsory liability insurance requirements which means state laws require specific limits of liability protection in order to drive the car legally. In Texas these limits are 30/60/25 which means you must have $30,000 of bodily injury coverage per person, $60,000 of bodily injury coverage per accident, and $25,000 of property damage coverage.
- If you have a lien on your Chevy, almost all lenders will have a requirement that you buy full coverage to protect their interest in the vehicle. If you cancel or allow the policy to lapse, the lender may insure your Chevy at a more expensive rate and force you to pay the higher price.
- Insurance preserves your Chevy Volt and your assets. It will also pay for medical transport and hospital expenses for both you and anyone you injure as the result of an accident. As part of your policy, liability insurance also pays for attorney fees and expenses if someone files suit against you as the result of an accident. If your car is damaged in a storm or accident, comprehensive and collision coverage will cover the repair costs.
The benefits of insuring your Volt more than cancel out the cost, especially with large liability claims. As of last year, the average driver in Texas is overpaying more than $800 each year so compare quotes from several companies at every renewal to help ensure money is not being wasted.
Compare rate quotes but still have a local El Paso insurance agent
Many people would rather talk to an insurance agent and there is nothing wrong with that. Professional insurance agents will help you protect your assets and help file insurance claims. The best thing about comparing insurance prices online is you can get the best rates and also buy local.
Once you complete this quick form, your coverage information is submitted to agents in your area who can give free rate quotes for your insurance coverage. You never need to find an agent on your own because prices are sent to you instantly. If you have a need to get a price quote from one company in particular, you just need to visit that company’s website and fill out their quote form.
Finding the right insurance company requires more thought than just a cheap price. Get answers to these questions too.
- How much training do they have in personal risk management?
- Will the agent help in case of a claim?
- Is vehicle mileage a factor when determining depreciation for repairs?
- How are they compensated?
- How many years have they been established?